off Haresfield Lane, Haresfield GL10 3EQ
The church sits in the centre of a beautiful and peaceful churchyard away from the village. Its location precludes it being left unlocked. Please contact a churchwarden to have the building opened.
There is a right of way to the church over the privately owned drive past the Old Vicarage. There is limited parking at the end of the drive, with access to a paddock if the ground is not too wet. Please respect the privacy of the owners of the Old Vicarage.
The church has a small pipe organ and a ring of 6 bells. Unfortunately there is no toilet.
We aim to hold a service most Sundays. Please see the What’s On Calendar for details.
The church has good links with Haresfield Primary School. They use the church for their Christingle, Harvest and other significant services.
The first reference to the church is in 1161, and there are traces of that church: a restored window in the north choir and the north doorway with its medieval oak door and tympanum over it. The church was rebuilt in the 14th century. Most of the visible interior dates from 1842 with further re-ordering in 1890’s.
Notable features include the 14th century lead font; in the choir there is a medieval dugout chest, originally used to house records and money and two early 14th century female effigies; on the walls monuments to three generations of the Rogers family, the one dated 1683 has an epitaph written by John Dryden.
You may hear the clock strike. Its possibly the oldest working church clock in the county, installed at the end of the 17th century.
The churchyard’s graves are a record of some of Haresfield’s inhabitants stretching nearly a1000 years. The earliest probably late Saxon and there are a number of listed Grade II* 18th century lyre ended chest tombs.
A moat forms the northern boundary of the churchyard and is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The enclosed area – known as the Mount – is believed to be the site of a fortified dwelling of the early lords of the manor, the site has not been excavated. The relationship between the dwelling and the church suggests that the original building may have been a manorial chapel.
Alec Jeakins, Church Warden