off Moor Street, Framilode GL2 7LJ
Saint Peter’s Church in one of the River Severn’s secrets, hidden at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac leading to Upper Framilode and more easily seen from the river than the nearest main road.
The church is always open in daylight hours for a visit, whether to have a quite time of reflection, or as a cool tranquil haven for passing visitor’s on a hot day, where you could also pick up a good book to read.
In 1846 the inhabitants of Framilode were described as “watermen and their families in a most demoralised and unenlightened state”. It is tempting to link this statement to the building of the church, designed by Francis Niblett, which was consecrated in 1854.
St Peter’s is a fine example of early Victorian design, simple and economic with a hint of the exotic in its Italianate bell tower. As befits a riverside church the decoration incorporates nautical motifs, such as anchors and also representations of the tinplate workings that took place in the village. Indeed the apse which is richly decorated is mainly painted on time as is the cross above the arch.
The painted ceilings are largely original, but the inscriptions on the wall were added at a later date.
The churchyard nautical links are also noted in the churchyard where more than one headstone records a drowning and not always locally.
The church has more recently been the subject of Heritage and Community Project, which has created a building fit for the present which is used not only for worship but by the local community for a variety of events and classes.
Penny Lidstone, Church Warden
Roz Wyatt, Church Warden